Here are some handy tips and information for creating your own tactile stories! Full instructions will be provided at the workshop.
What you need
- sewing needles (any type, but chenille needles are recommended for beginner sewers)
- conductive thread
- Lilypad battery holder
- 3.5V battery
- sewable LEDs
- Lilypad buzzers
- felt square
- decorations (pompoms, textured fabric, bells, whatever you’d like!)
Items can be bought separately or in pre-prepared e-textile kits.
- Using small stitches, sew from positive (the hole by the + icon) on the battery to positive on the LEDs or buzzer
Tip: Sew through the hole 5-7 times to get a good connection, and don’t leave long tails near the knots!
- Sew from negative (the hole by the – icon) on the battery to negative on the LEDs or buzzer.
Tip: Don’t cross the positive and negative lines, and don’t leave loops that can touch from positive to negative.
- Tidy up all tiny pieces of conductive thread (as they can stop the circuit from working) and insert your battery to check your circuit is working
- Decorate using non-conductive thread and collage materials.
Tips for Making Tactile Story Books